Click here for the Daily Orange's inclusive journalism fellowship applications for this year

MayFest to be held April 27 in Walnut Park

Walnut Park will be split into three sections on April 27 for MayFest, a daylong event of food and music entertainment free for all Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF undergraduate students.

The first section of the park will feature complimentary beer and food with proof of age, the second will host a concert and the third will offer food and non-alcoholic beverages.

This year, MayFest will be open to law students and graduate students as well. SU and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry graduate students can purchase their tickets for $10. SU College of Law students can purchase tickets for $21, which will be available for sale at the Schine Box Office beginning April 9.

‘We’ve been working on the technical aspect of things,’ said Student Association President Dylan Lustig, ‘making sure everything that needs to be done is being done and working with surrounding neighbors and unions to make sure they’re OK with everything.’

Ticket sales will end April 27 at 4 p.m. when the event ends, if tickets do not run out sooner. Tickets can only be purchased by SU or ESF students, with a limit of one ticket per student ID. Both the ticket and ID must be presented for admission.

Free food and non-alcoholic beverages will be served in the area stretching to Harrison Street. Shaw and Brockway dining centers will close at 2 p.m. that day, according to the MayFest website. Complimentary beer will be served in the section closest to Waverly Avenue. Only students who are at least 21 years old may be allowed into that section, after presenting a valid state- or government-issued license.

Bracelets will be issued to students entering the beer area. From 1 to 3 p.m., a four-tab bracelet will be offered, equivalent to four beers, and from 3 to 6 p.m., a two-tab bracelet will be offered, equivalent to two beers, according to the website. No beer will be permitted outside the beer section.

MayFest’s entertainment will begin at 1:45 p.m. with a performance by Aer, followed by 5 & A Dime at 2:20 p.m., Timeflies at 3:05 p.m. and Outasight at 4 p.m.

‘We don’t have any plans to add any other performers, though sometimes a student DJ performs,’ said University Union President Rob Dekker. But UU typically relies on campus radio stations for the student DJ, he said.

Dekker said MayFest typically takes place the last Friday in April, and for the most part, happens to be the same day as Block Party. The acts for MayFest have been secured since February or March, he said, but UU waited to announce the performers so that the names would be released at about the same time as the Block Party headliners.

MayFest is a student event that is student-driven and represents the student voice, Dekker said. UU officials worked closely with Lustig and SA so that the event could satisfy students’ interests as much as possible.

‘I know we’re gonna have some good bands performing, and with the free food, we know it’ll be a good event,’ Lustig said. ‘We hope for a good turnout.’

meltagou@syr.edu 

Column

Opinion: Hurricane Helene foreshadows our climate's future

It’s clear that climate change impacts numerous communities in a variety of severe, unequal ways. To ensure its effects don’t continue to persist, we must listen to the experts. We can no longer ignore them, especially when the evidence is right in front of us. Read more »